Sunday 4 August 2013

A very eventful week six

Week six, from Coralville Iowa to Grand Rapids Michigan turned out to be a very eventful week. Some of the events, I cannot remember and Joyce would like to forget.  
We started the week off very nicely.  The weather was ver nice and cool, and the wind was not a factor.   We did have four days ahead of us though with 85 plus or minus a few miles each.  I think this will be the longest week for miles travelled.

The first day was nice, from Iowa City to Fulton Illinois.  It was very close to 100 miles.   We both made it as the roads were not as hilly and the wind was not a factor.l.  We spent a lot of time in corn fields, actually between them, but on country roads, so all you could see is corn.   The corn is very good, tall and thick.   The ears were about 6 feet high and then the rest of the plant.   Well over  12 feet tall.   


We had some nice old original highways that were narrow and almost like a bike path.  We also had some busy highways, with quite a few trucks.


This is a picture of a hybrid seed corn field.   Later in Illinois there was a lot of this.  


We crossed the Mississippi into Illinois .  Just before this there was a factory of some kind that was over a miles long.   I never did see a name of the place, so I never did get a picture.  I think it was an ADM plant, but not sure what it made.   We had to cross using the sidewalk, which was very narrow.


The Mississippi is a very wide river.  Did not see any barges though.  

 
The second day was not so nice.  We spent the night at Unity Christian High  school in Fulton Illinois, just east of the Mississippi. Just after we got going it started to rain, and it rained all day long.   We were all soaked.   I did stop to take a picture of a covered bridge. It was dry in there.   We passed by many beautiful homes and lots of corn fields, and bean fields.   This is very very nice farming country.   The best we have seen so far.  It was a very long and wet 85 miles, but we made it to Shabbone Lake State Park.  The rain had stopped and the park did have warm showers, so things were looking up.  

Wednesday was the day that we would like to do over again.   It was going to be a very long day.   Started out to be a 91 mile day but after the fourth turn we already had 5 extra miles, and we were still on course.  At first it was all corn fields agin but that changed to a lot of bike paths.   These were kind of neat, as they were old railway lines and even an old horse path along a canal that was used to pull barges way back in history.   

We were having a nice day.   We did not get lost as a few people did.  We had no flats and the sun was shinning but not to hot.  I remember thinking that maybe we could actually finish this trip without getting hurt or anything stupid like that.  I was wrong.

At about mile 88 of a possible 96, I made a mistake.   We were going down 187th street, looking for Chicago Heights Glenwood Rd.  Joyce was ahead of me leading the way, about 50 to 100 feet ahead.  I don't remember what happened but when I started to remember things, I was in the back of an ambulance.  I must have hit a pot-hole, and lost control of my bike.   By the looks of the damage, bent handle bar, bent arrow bar, and the damage to my body, me and the bike went over end over end, at least once.   Joyce heard the crash and ran back to help me.  A very nice lady stopped and helped and called 911.  Some people living on the street brought out a chair for me and some ice, and by then some more bikers also arrived.  Another biker actually hit the same pothole and fell, causing a third biker to driver over her.   I guess I was bleeding and was quite a mess.   The ambulance arrived and took me to a hospital.   Apparently they asked me a bunch of questions that I failed to answer correctly.  I still have no recollection of any of this.   The best part is I do not remember any pain even.  Here are some pictures


Road rash on my right shoulder.

A small problem on my forehead, which gave me a beautiful black eye, and a cut on my chin, which they glued back together.   I also shook loose part of a tooth, as it broke off the next morning while eating.  My Jaw is very sore.   

Joyce and I both sat out the next day which may have been the nicest day of the tour, as they saw some of the shore line of Lake Michigan.  I wanted to ride but my bike was not fixed yet.   My brains may have been a bit scrambled yet too.  

We did ride on Friday though.   Here I am with my black eye on Lake Michigan.  It was a very wet day.   The wettest so far.  It just poured.  I almost quit, because I could not see much through my one good eye.   But the other eye slowly started to open up as the swelling went down maybe due to the cold rain.   We both finished the short  60 mile day to Hope college.  We even had a ride on a chain ferry.  

Dorm at Hope college, Holland Michigan 

Meeting room were we would have our nightly Peleton meeting.  Very nice.
Hope college

On Saturday we had a short day to Calvin college in Grand Rapids.   It was only 39 miles.   It was a lot of bike aths so it was a nice ride.   The weather was perfect.   

Lunch at Calvin Christian Reformed church.  We all gathered here for a mass ride into Calvin College.   I was a bit concerned about a crash in a large group lie that but it went well.   

Calvin College

PS.  If that nice lady that helped us in our time of need reads this cloud you please add a comment or two of what you remember.  thanks for your help and concern and for looking us up at at the hospital.   Some day we will have to meet.   Harvey

well it is 5:00 am on Sunday morning, and I am going back to bed.  





No comments:

Post a Comment